Built ca 1835 by James Binnie, a Scottish builder, who constructed
the building of native stone quarried on Daniel Forney’s plantation.
He was assisted by Frederick Roderick, a German stone mason,
who eventually settled in Burke County. It served as Burke County’s
courthouse until 1976, and now houses the Heritage Museum and the
offices of Historic Burke Foundation and the Visitor Information Center.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1812 by Captain Charles McDowell, Jr., this restored home
of classic federal style architecture portrays the history of life in the
19th century. On September 30, 1780, General Charles McDowell,
Major Joseph McDowell , and other Overmountain Men held a
rendezvous under the Council Oak at Quaker Meadows prior to
marching to the Battle of Kings Mountain. This event is commemorated
by Overmountain Men Re-enactors each September 30th at the
McDowell House. Entered in the National Register of Historic Places
Quaker Meadows Cemetery
Located on Branstrom Drive, Morganton, NC
(From Independence Boulevard, turn onto Sam Mull Ave., then take a
a quick right onto Branstrom Drive. The cemetery is at the top of the hill.
The gate is locked. Contact Historic Burke Foundation to obtain entrance.)
The cemetery contains gravestones dating from 1767 to 1884. It
is located on a portion of the land entered by Joseph McDowell
the Pioneer (1715 – 1771), and is the resting place of members
of prominent early Burke County families. Nine patriots of the
American Revolution and three women whose names are on the
List of Patriots of the National Society of the DAR are buried here.
The cemetery was restored in 1981 by the Quaker Meadows Cemetery
Corporation and was deeded to Historic Burke Foundation in 1992 .
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places
This small cemetery contains 21 known graves dating from 1811 to 1894.
It is the resting place of Arthur Erwin and his descendants. The cemetery
lies near what was once the site of Belvidere, a home built in 1802 by Arthur’s son William Willoughby Erwin. The cemetery was deeded to Historic Burke Foundation in 1996.