The Historic Burke County Courthouse is managed by Historic Burke Foundation, Inc. (Historic Burke) including foundation offices, exhibit areas, and the historic courtroom. Historic Burke neither owns nor holds responsibility for any monuments, structures, or installations on the grounds of the Historic Burke County Courthouse Square.
Enriching Our Future By Preserving Our Past
Historic Burke Foundation promotes knowledge of local culture and history through
educational programming and historic site preservation.
The seed for the formation of Historic Burke Foundation came from the Historical Buildings Committee of the Morganton Service League. The committee, headed in 1978 by Mary Adair Phifer (Mrs. Edward W., Jr.), was instrumental in getting support for the preservation of the Historic Burke County Courthouse. Within a few years, the committee had increased in size. As a result, Historic Burke Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization, was chartered in 1982. Barbara Cornwell Norvell (Mrs. Jerry T., Jr.) was elected the organization’s first president.
Historic Burke Foundation Activities
Educational programs for schools and the community
Annual Oldies but Goodies Senior Talent Show
Annual Revolutionary War Days commemorating the September 30, 1780 gathering of the Overmountain Men at Quaker Meadows before their victory at Kings Mountain, SC on October 7, 1780.
Annual Holiday Tour
Due to COVID-19, all properties including the Historic Burke County Courthouse and
Captain Charles McDowell, Jr. House are closed to the public.
We look forward to welcoming you once again when it is safe to do so!
Hours are by appointment. Please contact us to schedule a tour.
For group tours, contact us to schedule an appointment
well in advance!
More information and brochures: