Quaker Meadows Cemetery
Included on the National Register of Historic Places, the cemetery is located at 124 Branstrom Drive, Morganton, NC in a small, quiet neighborhood overlooking the Catawba River.
As the cemetery is extremely fragile, the gates are kept locked. To arrange a tour, call our office at (828) 437-4104. Please allow a minimum of two weeks notice as a docent must be scheduled to unlock the gates and accompany all visitors. A spare, rough trail on uneven ground follows the outside of the cemetery.
Quaker Meadows Cemetery contains gravestones dating from 1767 to 1884. It is located on a portion of the land settled by Joseph McDowell the Pioneer (1715 – 1771) for more than a hundred years part of Quaker Meadows Plantation and is the resting place of members of prominent Burke County families. Ten Patriots of the American Revolution are buried here.
General Charles McDowell
Major Joseph McDowell
Colonel Alexander Erwin
Captain James Murphy
Samuel Tate, Senior
The cemetery was restored in 1981 by the Quaker Meadows Cemetery Corporation and was deeded to Historic Burke Foundation in 1992.
pdf document on the Patriot women of Quaker Meadows Cemetery